Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Candy ~ Sales

 Every holiday, stores come out with cute themed products like the foot tall bunny cookie pan shown above. 
Every holiday, stores make those cute products way more than you want to spend on them.....or you can just do what I like to do and wait until the day after the holiday to buy most of what I wanted for 50% off the original price.  If you have also been keeping coupons from past inserts, you can also save even more!  I'm new to the whole use-a-coupon-for-everything trend, so I didn't have any valid coupons for these, but I did shop around to find the best deal.  Here are just a few of the candies I found:

14 ounces of Sixlets (Hubby LOVES these): originally $2.88, bought for half off.
 Baby Bottle Pops (Stores like to sell them individually at the counter for the price I got for all three today): originally $2.88, bought for half off.
 10.8 ounces of Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs (!!!): originally $2.88, bought for half off, but let me tell you a little about this.  Many of you who love chocolate and peanut butter as much as I do will eye the BIG Reese's peanut butter egg that comes one per container and it will be just a little more expensive than this (I price checked the sale price on it at $2), but DO NOT BE FOOLED!!  That egg is only 6 or 7 ounces!  If you get this bag with a bunch of smaller eggs, not only will you be paying less, but you will also get over 3 more ounces of chocolately peanut buttery goodness.  Plus, as an added bonus, these are individually wrapped so you don't have to worry about trying to stash your already opened one big egg away if you don't happen to eat the entire thing in one sitting.  Sure, this may use more wrappers, but you can throw a couple in your lunch box or enjoy one (or five!) at a time while you relax at home during the evening.  Yum :)
Now, one more piece of advice that I MUST share with you: each store not only will have different percentages off the same exact candies, but these candies will also be priced differently at each store. 

First, I went to Target.  They opened at 8AM..I got there at 8:10.  The signs were up and said 30% off, but most of the shelves looked like a tornado had went through.  Since Target is closed on Easter, this was probably due to people swarming in at the last minute getting gifts for those baskets they just have to have from the Easter bunny for their kids.  While I stood there, however, around eight employees came by, got excited by the sale, then immediately began to restock the shelves.  That's great, but I was hoping for a higher percentage off and I felt in the way, so I left for another store to compare prices. 

Second was Walmart.  Now, I don't frequent Walmart, but going in there today paid off.  (Except for the fact that some lady got the last bag of M&Ms because Walmart is open on Easter, so those must have went fast. Sad, because I really wanted those.  Hopefully, Target's prices will drop even more and there will still be M&Ms left for me to get in a few days.)  Walmart had 50% off all of their Easter candy and supplies, so the pictures you see above are all from Walmart.  Remember to always price check items yourself if there is one available so you don't inconvenience the clerks.

Third I stopped by Dollar Tree just because if was on the way home and I was curious.  Sure, they had candy 50% off (so 50 cents), but they were really small bags and were not any of the kinds I had found earlier.

Lastly I stopped by CVS.  Wow.  They didn't even have sale prices up, and it was already almost 10AM.  Even worse, there M&Ms were over $4!!!  The same exact kinds and sizes had been at Target with the sale price (only 30% off) making them under $3. 

It will be interesting to see which stores have the best deals in the end when (and if) they have anything left later on, but the initial best deal out of the four was Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment